This dish is a really fun twist on a classic. Plus, it is light, attractive, and super easy to prepare. Prep time should take no longer than 15 minutes, making it the perfect dish to throw together before any summer gathering.
What you’ll need:
- 6 kabob skewers
- 12 yellow cherry tomatoes
- 18 red grape tomatoes
- 12 bite-sized mozzarella balls
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
What you’ll do:
- Combine the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup in a small sauce pan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil; turn the heat down to its lowest setting and allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened; remove from heat and set aside
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes and mozzarella balls onto the skewers in an attractive pattern; then, arrange the skewers on a serving plate
- Combine the olive oil, basil, and garlic in a food processor; blend until smooth; drizzle a moderate amount over the skewers and spoon the rest into its own serving bowl
- Once the balsamic glaze has had about 5 minutes to cool, drizzle it over the skewers and spoon the rest into its own serving bowl as you did with the olive oil mixture
- Serve the extra accompaniments with the skewers so that guests can add either as desired
The simplicity of this recipe allows it to easily be doubled or tripled depending on how many people will be present. Also, there are so many great varieties of grape and cherry tomatoes this time of year that, really, any combination can be incorporated into this dish; I just happened to have red grape tomatoes and yellow cherry tomatoes available to me at the time.
I hope you enjoy this tasty app and its fresh, summer flavors!