My most recent CSA share included two pints of blueberries. While I could have easily eaten them right out of the container in a matter of days, I decided that they deserved better. One pint was dedicated to these muffins, while the other was used in a yummy salad dressing (post to come in the near future).
I will start off by saying that if you’re into light, fluffy muffins, this recipe is most likely not for you. However, if you’re into dense muffins that serve as a breakfast supplement of sorts, look no further. As I’ve said many times before, I’m not a “breakfast person,” despite how hard I try. That’s why these are perfect; they’re the ideal size for a quick, early-morning meal that will fuel me until I work up an appetite around lunchtime.
Further, I’ve had classic blueberry muffins countless times, so I added oats and lemon juice/zest to give them an extra-special flair. The oats make them a touch more hearty, while their subtle lemon flavor contributes to complexity of flavor. For being a self-proclaimed non-baker, I must admit that I’m pretty dang proud of this recipe.
Note: This recipe yields 24 muffins.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup instant oats
- The juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup pure cane sugar
- 2.5 tsp. baking powder
- 0.5 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1.5 cups grape seed oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Coconut oil spray
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a small bowl, combine the oats and lemon juice/zest
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; thoroughly mix together with a whisk
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil and eggs; thoroughly mix together with a whisk
- Gradually add the oil mixture to the flour mixture, using a handheld mixer to thoroughly combine
- Next, using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the oat mixture, followed by the blueberries
- Generously spray a muffin tin with coconut oil and fill each cup about halfway
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until golden brown
- Allow to cool for roughly 10 minutes prior to serving, and ENJOY! :)