A friend, Arielle, reached out to me to see if I had any good techniques for making rosewater at home. At the time, I had no idea, but being that I love rosewater in cocktails, I was up for the challenge. I researched a variety of techniques and am sharing what I believe to be the simplest, yet most effective method. This project requires only three ingredients and takes only 15 minutes from start to finish.
Aside from being super yummy in cocktails, rosewater can be found in a number of natural beauty products due to its countless benefits for skin and hair. To learn more about these benefits and for more ideas regarding how to incorporate rosewater into your beauty regime, click here.
I must note that a 4 oz. bottle of rosewater spray that I purchased several months back had a price tag of more than $10. Meanwhile, the stunning bunch of spray roses that I bought for the purpose of this project cost me only $6. Even more impressive, those roses yielded a whopping 32 oz. of product. I’ll let you do the math. Needless to say, it is completely worthwhile to make your own rosewater.
What other uses do you know of for rosewater? I’d love to hear about any and all ways of putting this beautiful elixir to use!
Note: I used spray roses because they are half the cost of regular roses, but yield the same amount of petals that a bouquet of regular roses would. Either variety will work perfectly.
What you’ll need:
- 1 bunch of spray roses
- 4 cups of distilled water
- 2 tbsp. of premium vodka to preserve freshness (optional but recommended)
- A quart-sized mason jar
What you’ll do:
- Remove the petals from the stems and place into a colander; rinse thoroughly
- Add the petals and distilled water to a medium pot; simmer on low to medium heat for approximately five minutes, or until the petals have lost their vibrant color
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth; discard the cheesecloth and petals
- Stir in the vodka, pour into a quart-sized mason jar, and store in the fridge for up to one month