I’ve been seeing shaved asparagus more and more lately, and until I did a quick Google search, my mind was blown as to how it was done. A peeler, duh! Once I received a beauteous bunch of asparagus with my first CSA pickup of the season (yay!), I knew that making something with shaved asparagus was bound to happen.
The salad that ended up happening was simple, yet delicious, and the fact that it was thrown together in roughly 10 minutes is an added bonus. Prior to this, I had only eaten cooked asparagus. Although I love it oven-roasted, I must admit that I love it even more raw. The subtle crunch, lemony flavor, and creaminess from the asiago make for a delightful combination.
My shaved asparagus and asiago salad will be the perfect addition to summer barbecues. Next time I incorporate shaved asparagus into a meal, however, I’m thinking it will be in the form of a flatbread. Until then, enjoy!
What you’ll need:
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tbsp. EVOO
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Desired amount of asiago, shaved
What you’ll do:
- Using a peeler, shave each piece of asparagus into long, thin slices and add to a medium mixing bowl
- Add the EVOO, lemon juice, pepper, and salt; gently combine
- Arrange on a serving plate; top with the shaved Asiago and additional cracked black pepper, if desired