You guessed it! This delicious dish was inspired by none other than my latest CSA pickup. In fact, I’m pleased to say that every veggie in this recipe was part of my most recent haul. I’m talking summer squash, zucchini, rainbow carrots, English peas, and candy onions, people! Yum.
Of course, any combination of veggies will taste lovely, but if you plan on making this dish soon, I’d go with the combination in this recipe since they’re all at their peak flavor. Similarly, don’t stress yourself out trying to get your hands on the ridiculous variety of herbs that I included in this recipe. They’re all from my herb garden, so they’re at my fingertips. Rest assured that any combination of fresh herbs is bound to contribute intense depth of flavor.
At first, I wanted to turn these veggies into a vegetable lasagna. However, after being at Firefly this past weekend (which was a kickass time!), I am so sick of eating “bad” carbs. Thus, I compromised and made this veggie bake instead. By layering the vegetables and including a relatively small amount of cheese, it served as a healthy take on vegetable lasagna and still tasted like a treat. Also, the panko bread crumbs on top add awesome texture.
On a somewhat unrelated note, I got a boatload of collard greens in the same CSA haul. I’ve always sautéed collards, but I’m brainstorming ways in which I can use it raw. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Happy hump day. :)
Note: Yields six servings.
What you’ll need:
- 2 summer squash, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 5 medium carrots, shaved
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup sweet onion
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. himalayan salt
- 1/3 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the squash, zucchini, carrots, and snap peas
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the avocado oil, garlic, onion, fresh herbs, pepper, and salt
- Pour the oil mixture over the veggie mixture and gently combine
- Add to a large, rectangular glass baking dish and cover with aluminum foil
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- Once 30 minutes has elapsed, remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese and bread crumbs on top
- Bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes