Later tonight, I’m hopping on a red eye and am embarking on a 10-day trip to Ireland with my mom and brother. My cousin and his fiancé are getting married in Belfast and, when presented with the opportunity to attend, there was no way that we were going to pass it up. We decided to make several stops while we are there, including Dublin, Galway, and the Aran Islands.
While I am so incredibly excited, I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t feel a little panicked about not having all of my oils and oil-infused products at my fingertips. You see, while I love to travel, I haven’t taken an extended vacation since oils have become such an integral part of my everyday life. As such, I’ve put a ton of thought into what I will bring on my journey – so much so that I decided to compile a detailed list and share it with you.
For starters, Young Living makes an adorable, portable, itty bitty diffuser that is perfect for traveling. The diffuser that I am referring to is called the Orb. It’ll save me from having to lug around one of my full-size diffusers, and it is both spill-proof and USB-powered.
Next, let’s talk about travel bags for essential oils. I searched the internet for hours looking for the perfect travel bag. Believe when I say that Baggage and Co. (via Etsy) makes the cutest, most practical travel bags around. They use Rifle Paper Co. fabric, for crying out loud! I ultimately purchased one of their 10 bottle bags that fits roller bottles, 5 ml bottles, and 10 ml bottles. Versatility is the name of the game! I won’t deny that narrowing my collection down to just 10 oils was a painstaking process, but now that I’ve decided on which are worthy of coming along for the journey, I feel so freaking good about what I selected.
- Valor: A blend of Black Spruce, Camphor, Blue Tansy, Frankincense, and Geranium, this is one of my absolute favorite oils. It goes onto my wrists every. single. day. Personally, I call it “liquid courage” as it helps me get through everyday woes. I have no doubt that it will come in handy for those pre-flight jitters.
- Deep Relief Roll-On: Between flights, train rides, and walking on cobblestone streets, I have a sneaking suspicion that this trip won’t be without achey muscles and joints. And, let’s be honest: I’ll likely experience a little bit of head tension after over-indulging in too much whiskey and Guinness. Comprised of Peppermint, Lemon, Balsam Canada, Clove, Balsam Copaiba, Wintergreen, Vetiver, and Dorado Azul, this magical roll-on provides relief from all types of discomfort.
- Peace&Calming + Lavender + Cedarwood: Every oil user has their tried and true sleep trio, and this happens to be mine. Although I generally sleep well on vacation, changing time zones can be tricky and result in a compromised sleep schedule. Ain’t nobody got time for that when there are sites to be seen! Fun fact: Cedarwood is known to naturally stimulate melatonin production.
- Tummy Roller: This is one of my favorite DIY roller bottles because it is a total miracle worker! In a 10 ml roller bottle, combine 15 drops Digize, 15 drops Peppermint, and unfractionated coconut oil. Irish cuisine, while delicious, can be both heavy and indulgent. Since I generally don’t eat that way, especially for prolonged periods of time, both Digize and Peppermint will provide me with mind-blowing digestive support. Digize is a blend of Tarragon, Ginger, Peppermint, Juniper, Fennel, Lemongrass, Anise, and Patchouli. I prefer to add extra Peppermint to Digize as it tends to mask Digize’s not-so-lovely smell.
- Oola Family: The Oola line of essential oil blends is my latest obsession. All of the blends are incredible in terms of both functionality and aroma. Because this is a family trip, bringing Oola Family along for the ride seems more than appropriate. This blend is too complex to list all of the single oils that it contains, but trust me when I say that it’s absolutely amazing!
- Present Time: A blend of Bitter Orange, Black Spruce, and Ylang Ylang, this essential oil is incredible for emotional support. I have found that my best travel experiences take place when I completely let go of the mundane things that I deal with on a day-to-day basis. It’s difficult to live in the moment when you are worried about sharing the perfect Instagram photo or racking up a less-than-ideal credit card balance. Present Time is all about living in the moment and embracing the YOLO mentality that we know and love!
- Orange Vitality: I love love love Orange and include it in countless diffuser blends. Unfortunately, I won’t have my entire oil arsenal with me, so Orange is coming along for a more practical purpose. I add a drop of Orange Vitality to my Thieves AromaBrite toothpaste for a naturally brighter smile.
- Frankincense: Similar to what I said about Orange, I love Frank (yes, we are on a first name basis) as it is a staple in many of my diffuser blends. Again, as I won’t have all of my oils with me, Frank is tagging along for a more practical purpose. I add a drop of it to my ART Light Moisturizer as it provides phenomenal skin support.
Next, let’s talk supplements because Lord knows that I can’t be without them for 10 whole days. Interestingly, extensive research has made it quite clear that the vast majority of supplements on the market do not get absorbed by the body. What does that mean? You’re literally pissing money away if you’re not investing in high quality supplements.
Well, Young Living’s supplements are not only high-quality, but also infused with essential oils. While this may seem silly, hear me out. Taking supplements that are infused with essential oils makes them 70-80% bioavailable to the body. This is HUGE. Because of this, I notice an insane difference in my wellbeing when I am without them. This, my friends, is why they are coming along for the ride.
Young Living’s Core Vitality Case is the bomb.com for storing supplements. Damn straight I have a pill box − I’m 28 going on 84 and proud. Because I’m terrible at remembering to take my precious supplements, I use this case both at home and while traveling. It houses three Vitality oils, which means that I get to bring three additional oils with me. SCORE! It also houses veggie capsules and provides enough room for a dropper bottle of carrier oil so that I can make my own supplements on the fly.
- Thieves, Lemon, and Peppermint Vitality: I love my Vitality oils. The pretty white label means that they are safe for consumption.
- 2 drops Thieves + 2 drops Lemon + carrier oil will provide much-needed immune support. Between germy trains planes, trains, and automobiles; overindulging; and being on-the-go, traveling wreaks havoc on the immune system.
- 2 drops Lemon + 2 drops Peppermint + carrier oil will allow for detox from the overindulgence mentioned above. I have a “when in Rome” mentality while traveling, but it tends to get me in trouble once those early morning tours and train rides roll around. In those instances, this combo will provide me with some pepp in my step − literally.
- Multigreens: This powerhouse capsule is packed with chlorophyll, which is present in every green plant. Key ingredients include spirulina, alfalfa sprouts, barley grass, bee pollen, eleuthero, and Pacific kelp. As I anticipate eating much more meat and potatoes than I typically do, I’ll take all the green nutrition that I can get.
- Life 9: Combining 17 billion live cultures from 9 beneficial bacteria strains, this is the probiotic of all probiotics. Gut health is hugely important, but even more so while traveling. My digestion gets all sorts of whacky after flying and veering away from my largely plant-based diet, so there is no way that I’m leaving home without some digestive support.
- Super B: Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, and B12 are engery-boosting and so very important. Each one plays a unique role in the body’s overall function. I’ve noticed a huge difference in my energy level since I started taking Super B, hence why it’s coming along with me.
- Ningxia Red: This delicious beverage is loaded with antioxidants and has become a staple in my everyday life. I seriously crave it. Because of that, I love that Young Living offers it in convenient, single use packets that are super convenient for traveling.
Lastly, I am so grateful that Young Living’s Bon Voyage Travel Pack exists. Now that I know just how terrible most personal care products are for our health and wellbeing, I can’t imagine having to resort to bringing them along with me for the sake of being TSA compliant. I also love that I don’t have to triple check a toiletry list to make sure that I’ve packed everything that I need. Instead, everything comes in a neat little bundle, ready to go. All of the incredible goodies that are included in the travel pack are listed below.
- Thieves AromaBright Toothpaste
- Thieves Fresh Essence Plus Mouthwash
- Thieves Dental Floss
- Cinnamint Lip Balm
- Young Living Toothbrush
- Lavender Shampoo
- Lavender Conditioner
- Morning Start Bath + Shower Gel
- Genesis Hand + Body Lotion
- ART Light Moisturizer
And, that’s a wrap! As you can see, traveling with essential oils is well within the realm of possibility. If you’ve traveled with oils before, I’d love to know which made the cut.
Also, feel free to follow my journey on Instagram, and stay tuned for Ireland travel tips! :)